- You can change your web browser
search enginethrough browser settings on your computer or application or system settings on your phone.
- Your browser’s search engine is what it uses to find anything you type in the URL bar.
- Almost all browsers allow you to switch between at least
If you’ve ever found a new website, it’s almost certainly by using a search engine like Google or Bing.
But every user has a search engine they prefer. And if your browser doesn’t use that one, surfing the web can get frustrating.
Fortunately, every web browser allows you to switch search engines. They all offer at least Google, Bing, and Yahoo, and most offer a few additional options as well.
Here’s how to change the search engine on your Mac, PC, iPhone/iPad or Android device.
How to change the search engine on your Mac or PC
The steps for changing your browser’s search engine depend on the browser you are using. But in general, you have to open your browser window Settings or Preferences menu, then click Research. There you will find the options to change your search engine.
1. Open Chrome and click the three dots stacked in the upper right corner.
2. To select Settingsthen click Search engine in the left sidebar.
3. Use the Search engine used in the address bar option to select the search engine you want to use.
1. Open Edge and click the three dots in the upper right corner, then select Settings.
2. On the page that opens, click Privacy, Research and Services in the left sidebar.
3. Scroll down the page and click Address bar and search.
4. Use the Search engine used in address bar option to choose your search engine.
1. Open Firefox and click the three stacked lines in the upper right corner.
2. To select Settingsthen click Research in the left sidebar.
3. Use the drop-down menu under Default search engine to choose your browser’s search engine.
1. Open Safari and click Safari in the upper left corner of your screen.
2. To select Preferencesthen click Research at the top of the menu that opens.
3. Use the Search engine: drop-down menu to choose your browser’s new search engine.
How to change the search engine on your iPhone, iPad or Android
iPhones and iPads
The default web browser on Apple devices is Safari. You can customize it with the Settings app.
1. Open the Settings app and scroll down to select Safari.
2. Faucet Search enginethen select the search engine you want to use.
You can also download Edge, Firefox, and Chrome apps. To change the search engine in these apps, open their in-app settings menus.
Different Android devices have different defaults
1. Open the Google Chrome app and tap the three dots stacked in the upper right corner, then select Settings.
2. Below Basicsfaucet Search engine.
3. Select your new search engine.
If you’re using a different browser app, check that app’s Settings menu.