Microsoft Edge has become a very solid browser since Microsoft switched to using Project Chromium as its base, which means Windows 11 comes with a great browser right out of the box. It no longer has to be the browser you only use to download Google Chrome or whatever browser you prefer. It’s also one of the best browsers you can get on Android. However, Edge has a flaw that many users won’t appreciate: by default, it uses Bing as its search engine.
Bing isn’t terrible, but most users will undoubtedly prefer Google, or perhaps a more privacy-focused search engine like DuckDuckGo. Its quality can also depend on where you are, and Google is more consistently good in different parts of the world, while Bing is more focused on a few key regions. Whatever your reason, we’ll show you how to change the default search engine in Microsoft Edge.
How to Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge
Changing the default search engine in Edge isn’t a very complicated process, but there are some things you might not know. Here’s what you need to do:
- Launch Microsoft Edge on your PC
- Tap the menu button (the three dots) near the top-right corner of the window, then choose Settingsdown the list.
- On the settings page, choose Privacy, Research and Services from the sidebar. Scroll down the page to find the Address bar and search option, then click on it.
- Here you will see an option that reads Search engine used in the address bar. This includes a drop-down list with some popular search engines, but it will also include any website you have visited that is also tagged as a search engine. Choose your preferred search engine from the list.
- Here’s an important part you might miss: Under the option we just mentioned, there’s an option called Search on new tabs uses search box or address bar. It may go unnoticed, but it makes a big difference. If you haven’t already, you’re going to want to change this option to Address bar.
Indeed, Microsoft Edge’s new tab page is powered by Microsoft services, and that includes Bing. If you search using the search box in the new tab page, the search will be performed with Bing, regardless of your default search engine. However, if you configure the search box to use the address bar instead, it will follow your default search engine preference.
That should be all you need to know about choosing a default search engine in Microsoft Edge. But what if the search engine you want to use isn’t listed? As we mentioned above, whenever you use a website that serves as a search engine, Edge automatically saves it as a search engine option. If you want to add a specific search engine to the list, the easiest way to do so is to simply visit that search engine and perform any search with it. Edge should be able to save it automatically as an option. This is the easiest and fastest way to do this, and it should work with the majority of websites that have a search function.
Microsoft Edge gives you the option to manually add a search engine, which you can access using the manage search engines option in the page we mentioned above. However, you cannot use this default search engine.
And that’s about all you need to know. It’s not a very complicated process, but there are some things you might not know right away. Specifically, having to set the new tab search to use the address bar instead of the search box is something not everyone will think about.
One thing to note is that you won’t be able to change the search engine used when searching using the Windows search bar. This is locked using Bing, and the only way to try to fix this is to use a third-party app like MSEdgeRedirect.
If you don’t want to use Microsoft Edge at all, you can also check out our guide on how to change your default browser in Windows 11.